~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A New Hassock/Foot Rest – May 2020

My husband had been wanting a footstool of some sort for some time. I was sharing with him an idea that I will be creating, and it triggered his asking if I could make him a hassock. I asked him height and diameter. So, without a pattern, and using soft materials no longer useable, such as fleece, worn out blankets and other odds’n ends of “fluff’n stuff” (a.k.a. polyester filler one uses for stuffed toys) for the inside, and some denim I had for the outside, as well as repurposed a zipper from a coat, I began the process of making him a hassock. The reason a zipper was used, is if he decides, that despite my efforts in tightly stuffing the hassock with his help, it needs more over time, it can be opened and filled a bit more.

Now we get to update our living room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Reupholstered Glider/Rocker – May 2020

This glider/rocker was needing some TLC, not because the fabric was torn or the basic wood structure needed fixing, but rather the fabric was fading and beginning to look dingy.

Creating/recovering the cushions was the easier part of this recover task. The challenge was how I was going to utilize the snaps that were part of the wooden base and what was on the original fabric. I found a solution, but I have to say, it was interesting. The pieces that wrap around the arm snapped underneath the wooden arms with large snaps, and since that one piece went down the sides of the chair, it also snapped to the base of the wooden seat. The straps, for the back cushion, also snapped together in the back. I definitely learned some new skills with this project, while seeking some “man” strength from my husband to snap them in place.

In addition, this chair has pockets on both sides that also needed to be replicated. Since this chair is for a guy (my husband), who LOVES pockets, it was essential these were added. I asked him how important they were: “I need them to store the clickers and my note pad, etc”. I’m sure if I check from time to time, I will find other treasures, either from him or our grandson. Since I do not have the curiosity to venture in finding out, all I asked of him was to make sure they didn’t fill up with junky stuff.

Click on the pictures for a larger view.

The Glider Rocker BEFORE:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Summer 2019 – Reupholster Cushion/Footstool

One of our daughters brought us a footstool she found that was “solid” in that there was nothing wrong with the frame work, but the two covers were a bit of a mess. Fortunately I still had some leftover upholstery fabric, that I purchased for a car project, that she also liked. So, with my husband’s help, we went to work. From removing the unique fabric/patchwork cover, the underlying vinyl cover (original to the footstool), and the inside fluff’n stuff. It was a bit, what I would call, ugly as would my husband, daughter and her husband. But together, David and I made something beautiful that will last our daughter a long time.

Click on pictures to see larger view:

Following are a few of the Work-in-Progress photo’s

The Footstool – BEFORE

We are not sure why the original owners put the various fabric over the vinyl, other than an attempt to make the vinyl look better, understandably using whatever materials they had on hand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A window seat project: A quality 5″ firm foam cushion (as I recommended), cut to specifications, wrapped, then covered. This particular cushion is the size of a love seat, and fits nicely on the bench seating in her room of books.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Below are seat cushions made for a home that supported their church youth group. One room was where the pool table was, the other for social moments for meals and bible study.

Since the seating space was custom made by a cabinet maker, they also needed custom made cushion to specifically fit the seating. Notice the window area, in how that particular back cushion needed a different height than the rest.

This job required that I work on-site for measurements, sometimes for cutting to be sure of measurements, although the sewing was mostly done at home in my sewing area. My task was to order the cushions, the covering of cushions, notions needed, and the upholstery fabric the client decided upon.

My client from MD needed pillows but also a cushion cover. Due to the awkwardness of shipping her cushion, she requested that I create a cover to fit it with measurements she provided. Fortunately, since it was a recover, with her providing excellent measurements, I was able to accommodate her request. All materials, cording and pillow forms were provided by the customer. The window seat cushion has a zipper closure for ease in replacing her old cushion.

Custom Pillows created with materials provided by customer from MD. Both pillows are reversible, and they both have cording around the edges.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some work my husband and I did for our home. I was looking for a love seat type couch that had an antique look yet quality workmanship for the frame. A friend knew I was looking but shared it would need to be reupholstered. So, I incorporated the help of my husband to do the removal of the old and help with the actual reupholstery. I made the pillow cushions, I cut the new pieces out, using the old fabric taken from the couch, and we went to work. We both previously worked in furniture manufacturing, but not the upholstery side, so this was quite educational for us.

Leave a Reply